Enthralled by the maestro

Question # 91, Date: 04-04-2009 is below this post!

I'm using my blog space to communicate something not quiz-oriented. I was blessed enough to attend a concert by Ustad Amjad Ali Khan, the sarod maestro at my home town about 300 metres from my home! :-)

I was totally excited by the fact that am gonna watch a legend live and that too in my home land! I nagged my dad to come along , but , I was never sure if I'm gonna like the music he renders . But, the moment I heard his music, I was connceting with it really well. They say Classical music and Popular music are nothing different - but yes they are , classical music when rendered in instruments like the sarod by maestros beat the popular music any day !

When he performs, you get a sense of caring , a wobble deep inside you , a feeling like all your worries and tensions are getting rubbed away- I couldn't believe that the music was , indeed , pleasing me , much more than anything has done ever. The simplicity he carries in his music makes you wonder if it's the same person who travels across continents every other day (He was performing in the Esplanade , Singapore 3 days back! phew!) .

It really escapes me as to how he manages to keep himself going at this age , to perform relentlessly for long periods of time , straining his fingers .. but I don't complain cos I've today been treated to soul stirring music which took me to a different world and buried my drundearies! :-)

The very fact that he agreed to perform in a place as small as Palghat shows his humbleness , his respect for people who appreciate music. If you ever get a chance to see the gem of Indian music, Ustad Amjad ali Khan, grab it with both your hands !! I pity everyone in palghat who commented when I told them I was going for his concert like "Whose performance? I don;t care!" "Oh, Im not in a mood" , "Er, Boring" , "how are you gonna adjust to the atmosphere?"- Learn to appreciate , cos unless u do, ur life is nothing but an enactment of baseless script!

My sincere thanks to ustad sahab for giving me 2 hours of peace and more importantly- priceless music!

Vikas Plakkot

No comments: